I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs on my skincare journey. I suffered from some serious breakouts as a teenager. Once I started taking the pill, my skin cleared up completely. As you can probably guess, when I decided to stop taking hormonal birth control about 5 years ago, my teenage breakouts came back and they were worse than ever. While my skin isn’t perfect and I still have occasional breakouts, I’ve come a long way since where my skin was 5 years ago. I’ve found a few things that really impact my skin health.
- Hydration – water is so key. I make a habit of drinking a massive 20oz glass of water first thing when I wake up and then constantly refilling it throughout the day. I always carry a reusable water bottle when I’m out so I can hydrate on the go.
- Products – I’ve tried so many products and a lot of them caused new breakouts or made my inflammation even worse. Everyone is so different but it’s important to find products that work with your skin instead of making it worse. I’ve been using BioClarity products for almost a year now and the 3-step clear skin routine works really well for me. The BioClarity Cleanser with cucumber, green tea and chamomile is my favorite because it’s so gentle and calming but also leaves my skin feeling so clean without over drying.
- Nutrient rich foods – I’m all about eating the rainbow as much as possible. I find my skin looks best when I’m eating a balance of lots of vibrant fruits and veggies, healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds) and protein (chickpeas, wild caught seafood, pastured eggs, etc.)
- Avoiding inflammatory foods – It definitely took some trial and error to figure out which foods cause inflammation in my body and on my skin. For me, dairy was a huge contributor toward the crazy breakouts I was having. At the time, I was eating Greek yogurt, skim milk, and cheese daily. When I eliminated those foods, my skin cleared up a lot. Now I’ll have small amounts of ghee in my coffee or cheese when I’m eating out occasionally but overall dairy is something I try to avoid. Processed foods also cause inflammation for me. Obviously, it’s not realistic to totally eliminate processed foods but I do the best I can! Some days are better than others and I’m ok with that!
- Herbs, spices and adaptogens – I love using herbs, spices and adaptogens in my kitchen! I am constantly adding turmeric and cinnamon to everything! I love using adaptogens in my morning elixirs to health promote balance. I’m so excited about BioClarity’s new Beauty Boost supplement because it has tons of nutrients for skin health and harmonizing adaptogens like matcha, turmeric, goji berry and others. I’m a huge believer that healthy skin starts from the inside out.
- Stress reduction – Stress is difficult to avoid but managing it can help a ton. When it comes to reducing stress my go-to’s are breathing exercises, yoga, walking outside, and taking mindful breaks from my phone, computer or TV when necessary.
Everyone is different and these are just some things I’ve noticed on my skincare journey. I hope you find these tips helpful!
You can use code “VEGGIN” to save 15% off of your entire BioClarity order!
*Thank you BioClarity for sponsoring this post!