I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs on my skincare journey. I suffered from some serious breakouts as a teenager. Once I started taking the pill, my skin cleared up completely. As you can probably guess, when I decided to stop taking hormonal birth control about 5 years ago, my teenage breakouts came back and they were worse than ever. While my skin isn’t perfect and I still have occasional breakouts, I’ve come a long way since where my skin was 5 years ago. I’ve found a few things that really impact my skin health.
- Hydration – water is so key. I make a habit of drinking a massive 20oz glass of water first thing when I wake up and then constantly refilling it throughout the day. I always carry a reusable water bottle when I’m out so I can hydrate on the go.
- Products – I’ve tried so many products and a lot of them caused new breakouts or made my inflammation even worse. Everyone is so different but it’s important to find products that work with your skin instead of making it worse. I’ve been using BioClarity products for almost a year now and the 3-step clear skin routine works really well for me. The BioClarity Cleanser with cucumber, green tea and chamomile is my favorite because it’s so gentle and calming but also leaves my skin feeling so clean without over drying.
- Nutrient rich foods – I’m all about eating the rainbow as much as possible. I find my skin looks best when I’m eating a balance of lots of vibrant fruits and veggies, healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds) and protein (chickpeas, wild caught seafood, pastured eggs, etc.)
- Avoiding inflammatory foods – It definitely took some trial and error to figure out which foods cause inflammation in my body and on my skin. For me, dairy was a huge contributor toward the crazy breakouts I was having. At the time, I was eating Greek yogurt, skim milk, and cheese daily. When I eliminated those foods, my skin cleared up a lot. Now I’ll have small amounts of ghee in my coffee or cheese when I’m eating out occasionally but overall dairy is something I try to avoid. Processed foods also cause inflammation for me. Obviously, it’s not realistic to totally eliminate processed foods but I do the best I can! Some days are better than others and I’m ok with that!
- Herbs, spices and adaptogens – I love using herbs, spices and adaptogens in my kitchen! I am constantly adding turmeric and cinnamon to everything! I love using adaptogens in my morning elixirs to health promote balance. I’m so excited about BioClarity’s new Beauty Boost supplement because it has tons of nutrients for skin health and harmonizing adaptogens like matcha, turmeric, goji berry and others. I’m a huge believer that healthy skin starts from the inside out.
- Stress reduction – Stress is difficult to avoid but managing it can help a ton. When it comes to reducing stress my go-to’s are breathing exercises, yoga, walking outside, and taking mindful breaks from my phone, computer or TV when necessary.
Everyone is different and these are just some things I’ve noticed on my skincare journey. I hope you find these tips helpful!
You can use code “VEGGIN” to save 15% off of your entire BioClarity order!
*Thank you BioClarity for sponsoring this post!
I was always curious about collagen and decided to start experimenting with it in October of last year. I was most interested in taking collagen for skin benefits. I started off by using Vital Proteins Unflavored Collagen Peptides. What are collagen peptides? Collagen peptides are made from the bovine hide of grass-fed and pasture-raised animals. The peptides are a powdery consistency which makes them easy to add to hot or cold beverages (or even food!) I started adding the unflavored collagen peptides to my smoothies and/or coffee drinks daily. I couldn’t taste it at all! I immediately loved the froth it added to my coffee when I mixed it up in my high speed blender.
The first change I noticed after incorporating collagen into my daily routine was an improvement in digestion. I definitely noticed within the first few days of taking it that my digestion was more regular and I felt less inflammation/bloating around my stomach. I also noticed after a few weeks of taking collagen that my skin was clearer and after a few months my nails and hair seemed to be growing faster than ever! I think diet plays a big role in hair, skin and nail health for me but collagen definitely gave me an extra boost!
My favorite way to incorporate collagen is with my morning beverage (Most days it’s mushroom coffee!) I personally love adding collagen in my coffee elixir in the morning for a couple of reasons. First, my favorite way to start the day is to take a moment for a little self-care before the craziness. I totally savor every drop of my warm morning beverage and take a few moments to practice gratitude. Having the collagen in my drink helps set the tone of prioritizing my health and self-care for the day. Another reason I love having collagen in my coffee elixir is because the protein helps me feel more balanced in the morning and satiates me enough to where I could wait an hour or two if I want to before eating breakfast. I definitely don’t think collagen can be used as a meal replacement but it is helpful in-between meals or incorporated during meals for an extra protein boost!
My favorite way to incorporate collagen is with coffee (recipe below) but if matcha is more your speed, Vital Proteins Matcha is individually packaged with collagen so it makes it super easy! I’ve been loving switching up my normal coffee routine with a matcha elixir instead! Matcha is full of antioxidants so I love incorporating it!
I also want to mention another one of my favorites from Vital Proteins which is their Beef Liver Supplements. I’ve learned that liver is SO rich in nutrients especially vitamin A and B12. As someone who is working to raise nutrient deficiencies, I try to incorporate liver in my diet from time to time because I definitely can feel the benefits of how nutrient dense and nourishing it is. Let’s be real though – grass-fed liver isn’t always accessible and in a lot of cases, not the best thing I’ve ever tasted. Vital Proteins makes it so easy with their amazing Beef Liver supplement in capsule form. Definitely a great option if you are someone like me who wants the benefits of liver. I also notice more energy when I take these.
I hope this helps explain the reasons why Collagen has become such an integral part of my daily routine and why I love it!
Collagen Coffee Elixir
2 cups boiling water
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 serving instant coffee
1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
1 tbsp cacao powder
¼ tsp ghee
A few dashes of cinnamon
Mix all ingredients in a high speed blender (equipped for hot beverages), mix with a frother or simply stir well in a mug and enjoy!
Thank you Vital Proteins for sponsoring this blog post!